In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Friends of Wood Island Light

Wood Island Lighthouse, Biddeford, ca. 1920

Contributed by Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse
MMN Item 16489 Item Details
 Wood Island Lighthouse, Biddeford, ca. 1920
MMN Item 16489 Zoom

Description

Postcard of tower, dwelling house, connecting building and fog bell tower at Wood Island Lighthouse, Wood Island Harbor, Saco Bay, ca. 1920.

The tower looks the same as it did in 1858 when it was reconstructed and fitted with a Fourth Order Fresnel Lens.

The dwelling house was enlarged in 1906. The roof was raised and dormers added creating a Dutch Colonial style.

It is believed that the fog bell tower is the original tower. It was rebuilt sometime between 1934 and 1944 by keeper Earle Benson. The keeper at the time of this postcard photo was Charles Burke (1906-1914).

The building on the far side with only the top visible was a maintenance shed. Neither it nor the fog bell tower are in existence today.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.