In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Friends of Wood Island Light

Postcard Wood Island Lighthouse, Biddeford c 1902

Contributed by Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse
MMN Item 16423 Item Details
Postcard Wood Island Lighthouse, Biddeford  c 1902
MMN Item 16423 Zoom

Description

Postcard of Wood Island Lighthouse c. 1902 created by a postcard company of the time. The lighthouse is located on the east end of Wood Island. Some of Thomas Henry Orcutt's family are in the image. He served as keeper from 1886-1905. It is believed that the Orcutt's planted the rosebushes which are well established here. The lens in the lantern room atop the tower is covered to prevent a fire. A wheel barrow appears on the far right. It would have been used to get supplies from the west end of the island where the boat landing was to the lighthouse. The distance between the boat landing and the lighthouse was over one half of a mile.

The viewer is facing North looking toward Cape Elizabeth from Winter Harbor (Saco Bay today).

This postcard is in the collection of the Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.